Friday, June 25, 2010

Speak the language of the audience!

This should be so obvious, but, I fall into this constantly.

Assuming that your audience speaks your language in the same context almost guarantees miscommunication. One big lesson I learned from professionally being in many places is that people learn to communicate in their niche. This means the same sentence (even word) may imiply different things to a different environment.

One shop may use the term 'resolved' to imply 'issue closed'. In another, it may just mean 'recovered for this incident'.

As objective as I try to make my arguments are, for or against a point I am tryring to make, it is never as clear to everyone all at once. Frustrating, but, a fact of life, so it needs to be taken in account in all interpersonal interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment