Thursday, June 24, 2010

Value is subjective!!

Just got this nugget of wisdom from economists Tom Walker, Sr and Jr of Praexis Labs.

Sounds simple, yet, explains perfectly why when I presented a clear business case for an obvious win for a stakeholder, they picked the exact opposite. Let me explain.

Let me demonstrate on a generic simplistic example.

Given:

  • Option A, with a cost of $1 and an ROI of $12 over 10 days;

versus,

  • Option B, with a cost of $1 and an ROI of $5 over 5 days

Translated to the same measurement system over the same period, Option A's ROI is $6 and Option B's is $5. Would seem obvious to me that the stakeholder would pick Option A over B given they would stand to benefit.

Fact: My stakeholder picked Option B. Now, why would they do that?

Did not consider the definition of VALUE to my customer. The obvious, which is COST, might not be what my customer considered of VALUE. As objective as COST appeared to be, it was not to this stakeholder.

Initially, it did not occur to me that the stakeholder may have cared more about image or perception management, which could not have anything to do with costing the problem at hand, or improvement metrics.

This stakeholder's concept of VALUE was actually subjective. Interesting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment